politics of our day

So there’s a key paragraph near the end of today’s New York Times article on legal challenges to voting, vote fraud, and McCain’s hyperbole (“McCain’s Warning About Voter Fraud Stokes a Fiery Campaign Even Further”):

“Acorn said that of its faulty registrations, 20 percent to 25 percent were probably the result of duplications, 5 percent were incomplete and 1 percent to 1.5 percent were fraudulent.”

This is important. If 20% of the registrations (let’s be generous) were simply duplicates — perhaps people being asked multiple times if they wanted to register to vote, or not understanding they only had to register once, or forgetting they had already registered — then that number can not only be explained by human error, rather than deliberate fraud, but furthermore, unless they are duplicates in multiple counties (unclear from the article), that would imply that there is no way to commit the kind of vote fraud the Republicans are talking about. One is typically not allowed to vote twice under one’s own name in the same district.

Incidentally, I think the article means “of its registrations”, not “of its faulty registrations,” since they are talking about how around 30% of the total registrations are bad; though if the sentence is accurate, I want to know what’s up with the other 70%.

More broadly, I think we should all take issue with a candidate that claims that people who are trying to enfranchise voters are in fact going to destroy democracy by doing so. How can you be a demagogue and yet be so clearly afraid of people actually turning out en masse to vote?

This entry was posted in politics, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.