Jun 18 2006
So is blogging, apparently.
1) it is hot here, but in a way that is pleasant in the house with all the shades drawn and a fan going; or in the evenings or early mornings; or perhaps out in the sun in the afternoon in that baking, sunburny kind of way. Sometimes I resort to air conditioning in the afternoon, but not always. Thank god for work and the refrigerated library, though. I’m all about putting in ten hour days in the name of staying cool.
2) My garden is great. The squashes and tomatoes are blooming; I bought eggplant plants to stick in the ground yesterday at the farmer’s market, which I will do tonight. Also, my yard needs mowed. There are two lawnmowers that everyone in my little commune shares. One is electric & one is push. The push mower is locked in a garage so I have to wait for the person with the key to come home; and he’s not been around, so no luck there. I got out the electric mower the other day; but it requires a little key, which seems to be missing, and no one knows where it is. So, no lawn mowing for me. My grass is going to seed; shades of in-town white trash, or college student.
3) C-c-c-conference: check it out, yo. That would be my handiwork, thank you very much.
4) Otherwise, life is boring. I have little motivation. I need to drag my butt into Sacramento to do some shopping (clothes, furniture) but haven’t quite gotten up the energy to drive the all of 20 minutes that it would take. I need to organize my office, but cleaning happens over the month-scale around here, not the daily scale. (Organizing my office has been on the agenda since, I don’t know, January?) I need to send out a lot of presents for various and sundry people who got married or had birthdays. I need to call my dad for father’s day. I need to lose ten pounds and be a better person, too, but I’m trying to stick with the realistic end of the list.
5) I’ve been having extremely vivid, rather odd, very suggestible dreams lately. There are the usual bizarre dreams — dreaming of being pregnant, of encountering people from my past. But things are more strange than usual. I fell asleep waiting on a phone call from someone about the conference the other night, late; and in the 15 minute nap or so that I took before the phone rang I dreamt that the person and I had a terrible argument, leaving me confused when I woke up over whether it had really happened and whether I should be apologizing. There are small, random things as well: I’ve been drinking carbonated water lately — club soda-ish, which I like in the summer because it’s like drinking soda without all the sugar — and I dreamed last night that the regular bottled water I get now came in a carbonated version, so I was filling up my five-gallon jug with sweetly fizzy water. I realized I’ve been carrying around this vision in the back of my head all day, and it just now percolated up to the level of conciousness and improbability. Why so many dreams? I’ve always had suggestible dreams; I will often dream about the last thing I do before going to sleep; but these are more vivid than usual. They remind me of the haziness of my childhood, long awful unmotivated summers, and I wonder if I dream more when it’s hot out, and sleep more fitfully.
No responses yet